Mrs. Obregon, Part 2 of 3

Were you one of those people who believed all of the stereotypes about Alabama?  And are they still true?
Yes, and some of them are true.  To be honest, yes.  It’s prettier than I thought it was going to be.  It’s hotter than I thought it was going to be.  The mosquitoes are like huge – dinosaurs with wings -- they are evil.  The truth about it is that the people are warm, definitely -- more than Denver or California.  I am from Mexico.  My dad was from Spain.  So, I am kind of half and half.  Spanish and Mexicans compared to the Alabama people, I think Mexicans are more warm and welcoming. I think in the south people are warm and welcoming, but to a point.  You know?  They don’t open the doors of their home for you to become family.  I do open the doors to my home.  I do.  I have friends from different nationalities.  I do think that … I mean that I open my home.  You don’t have to be Mexican to be my friend. 
So, you think it’s kind of closed here?

I think it’s natural.  If you have lived here and have your family here, you have lived – you have your friends since childhood.  You don’t need to open your doors.  You know what I mean?  You have plenty of friends.  You have plenty of family.  We, the outsiders, we do need to open our doors and make family here.  Yes, I feel like I have done that … because my friends who are here are my family, truly; truly my family.  They don’t all speak Spanish.  Yes, my Facebook page has a lot of Spanish friends, but that’s because that’s what Facebook is for me – to be in touch with those people over there. 


No comments:

Post a Comment